Re: Plans for 2.20

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:42 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 12:52 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:53 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >
> > > * proxy settings:
> > > 	- Extend it and call it 'Network'?
> > > 	- Move it to NetworkManager or gnome-system-tools?
> >
> > What does 'extend' include?  Any chance of per-Location proxy settings
> > (for those Locations defined in network-admin)?  We're kind of working
> > towards this functionality for OpenSolaris at the moment, but it would
> > be nice not to have to second-guess what's going to happen to the
> > community network-admin/Proxy capplets :)
> >
> we are discussing here what to do, so if you could share your ideas, we
> could even take them into account if they are better than ours :-)

Well, what I'm really talking about is the OpenSolaris Network Automagic
project:
http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nwam

There's architecture information up there (which might be too
Solaris-specific to be of interest, I dunno, I don't understand that
sort of stuff!), and a draft GUI design to support it (which is
currently rather complex, and likely to be much simplified prior to
initial implementation).

There's certainly some overlap there with things that GNOME could do
(and in some cases, already does)... probably NetworkManager in
particular, but we've opted not to port that to Solaris for now, for
various technical reasons.  Nonetheless, I'll certainly be pushing for
NWAM to leverage as much of the existing GNOME UI/infrastructure as
possible going forward, but it's hard to say at this point how much
pushing will be required, and how successful it will be :)

Cheeri,
Calum.