Re: GUADEC meeting summary

On 7/28/07, Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:

> The submenus appear in Fedora already and in the control center session
> we had at the end of the week, even the Red Hat people agreed this is a
> bad idea.

It is a bit more complicated than that.
a) the categories are better than the old "More Preferences" approach,  IMO
b) there are too many capplets for a single menu

Fix b) and I'd be happy to give up on the categories again...

> > >     * some people suggested removing typing break and just rely
> > > on workrave (very popular it seems).
> >
> > Why? The current stuff is simple and working well. Any reason to
> > remove it?
>
> Really because nobody can ever find it and it seems very out of place.
> It's not really a keyboard option, it's a utility program.

I think it would be much better off next to the screensaver options.
It is not really about keyboard at all, it is about enforcing a break
by >locking the screen<.

Workrave on the other hand, looks a lot more like an animated gymnastics
tutorial...

> > >     * merge desktop effects (from compiz) with display capplet
> >
> > Errr. And what will happen when metacity has a working composite
> > manager? Or when people want to use another composite manager? This
> > should probably not be compiz-specific.
>
> I had lots of similar reservations about this, but since most
> distributions will probably include a metacity/compiz combination at
> the moment, it makes sense to enable a common interface in the
> appearance capplet. However, it should be optional at compile time or
> run time so that it can easily be removed if necessary.

The desktop-effects capplet is really very much a special case, since it has
the try-and-revert-after-x-seconds thing that is necessary because we cannot
guarantee that it will work.