Re: release process

> I don't think this is something that can be automated. Deciding
Well, it means headache for the release engineer. Since I just did
release once, and I am not going to do it periodically - I can live
with it. I just wanted to help Rodrigo, you know...

> That's bound to fail. I don't believe anyone reads README these days.
> Certainly not people who post patches to bugzilla and are then told
> "yeah, please commit". And IMO that's perfectly fine and
> understandable.
When one of "official" maintainers gives "go ahead" - he is
responsible for whatever happens afterwards. For example (from another
project), when people contribute new layouts into xkeyboard-config,
they often do not add entries to base.xml.in. It is up to me whether
to ask them to provide _full_ patch or do the change myself - anyway,
I am in charge. I think similar policies could be used here.

> As I said I don't believe you can automate this and expect useful
> NEWS files as output. Besides, ChangeLog entries should not be
> written with regards to how well they can be (automatically)
> translated into a line in NEWS, but to understand the actual
> change. Which in turn makes it easy to write the NEWS line - for a
> human.
The problem is that "svn log" between two releases is long enough. And
IMVHO it would be a good help for the release manager to spare him
that job. But I would like to hear Rodrigo on this. If he finds this
not an issue - I immediately calm down.

Regards,

Sergey