Re: release process

Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
So, how would you propose to automate that process?

I don't think this is something that can be automated. Deciding
which changes are important enough to appear in NEWS and writing
a short concise description for them requires a human.

Regarding your reasons:
1. Sometimes one visible change consists of several commits. Things
like build process fixes, small code reorganization etc would not be
visible in these files at all

That's why I said "more or less".

2. There is README file - it could contains details about the process.
If some newbie introduces the changes, and they are not mentioned in
the release notes - I do not see it as a deadly problem. Frankly, I do
not see the need in double-checking

That's bound to fail. I don't believe anyone reads README these days.
Certainly not people who post patches to bugzilla and are then told
"yeah, please commit". And IMO that's perfectly fine and
understandable.

3. Well, if we could formalize the way Commit messages are written, we
could create a script which would prepend NEWS file automatically.
That is a valid solution too. Could we have short guidelines (in
README file perhaps)?

As I said I don't believe you can automate this and expect useful
NEWS files as output. Besides, ChangeLog entries should not be
written with regards to how well they can be (automatically)
translated into a line in NEWS, but to understand the actual
change. Which in turn makes it easy to write the NEWS line - for a
human.

Jens