Re: release process

Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
What I'd propose is having two files: NEWS.since_last_stable and
NEWS.since_last. The maintainers of the submodules would put a list of
significant (user-visible?) changes in these files (it is not
necessarily to get to the level of every individual bug). That would
make release process much easier.

I'd like to avoid this extra step, mainly for 3 reasons:

1) it's one extra step for each commit (more or less).
2) we sometimes have external committers who cannot be expected to
   know about some internal g-c-c policy, so the release builder
   would have to double-check anyway.
3) if extracting the important changes from the ChangeLogs doesn't
   work, that means the commit messages (or ChangeLog entries, but
   ideally, they should be the same anyway) aren't good enough. I'd
   rather distribute an occasional kick in the backside to the
   authors of sub-par ChangeLog entries than complicate the daily
   routine. It's not like we release once a week.

Jens