Re: Pluggable settings daemon

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 13:23 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> Sorry for the long delay.
>
> On Nov 16, 2007 7:48 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 13:29 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > During the work on the GDM rewrite for 2.22 it became clear that we
> > > needed to run some kind of settings daemon in the greeter/login-window
> > > session.  At first I tried to use gnome-settings-daemon directly but
> > > this was problematic for a few reasons, including:
> > >
> > could you explain why you need that settings daemon? Not that I have
> > anything against it, just want to know in detail why you need it :-)
>
> At a minimum, we need to be able to set up the xsettings from gconf.

> > Whatever we decide, what is clear is that we can share the settings
> > modules. I changed the g-s-d architecture for the modules in a way that
> > it would be easy to add code to load external modules, so we can have
> > the shared modules as part of GDM and then do whatever is better with
> > the daemon. Of course, if both daemons are going to do the same, it
> > makes a lot of sense to share it, so I'm inclined to think it makes a
> > lot of sense to have gnome-settings-module as a separate module.
>
> Right.  I think the best approach might be to create a new svn module
> for the new settings daemon.  Call it gnome-settings-daemon perhaps?
> This way g-c-c can migrate to it when it is ready and gdm can use it
> right away.

yes, that seems to be the best solution

> First, we need to figure out what the mechanism will be for the daemon
> to load different sets of modules for different types of sessions.
> One option is to include all the plugins in the gnome-settings-daemon
> module tree but have each session individually specify a list of
> modules to load.  One possible implementation of this may be as simple
> as starting the gnome-settings-daemon with an argument to specify a
> gconf key name that contains a list of modules to enable.

yes, that should work, and, as a secondary effect, it would add the
ability to disable certain settings modules, very useful for KDE people,
for instance, that autostart g-s-d.

> Second, we need to convert the reset of the current g-s-d
> pseudo-modules to g-s-d plugins.

yes, that's a good plan. Not sure though if we really want to externally
load all the plugins. Do you mean to convert all of them to .so and load
them in g-s-d?
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>