Re: Pluggable settings daemon

Hi Rodrigo,

Sorry for the long delay.

On Nov 16, 2007 7:48 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 13:29 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > During the work on the GDM rewrite for 2.22 it became clear that we
> > needed to run some kind of settings daemon in the greeter/login-window
> > session.  At first I tried to use gnome-settings-daemon directly but
> > this was problematic for a few reasons, including:
> >
> could you explain why you need that settings daemon? Not that I have
> anything against it, just want to know in detail why you need it :-)

At a minimum, we need to be able to set up the xsettings from gconf.

> Whatever we decide, what is clear is that we can share the settings
> modules. I changed the g-s-d architecture for the modules in a way that
> it would be easy to add code to load external modules, so we can have
> the shared modules as part of GDM and then do whatever is better with
> the daemon. Of course, if both daemons are going to do the same, it
> makes a lot of sense to share it, so I'm inclined to think it makes a
> lot of sense to have gnome-settings-module as a separate module.

Right.  I think the best approach might be to create a new svn module
for the new settings daemon.  Call it gnome-settings-daemon perhaps?
This way g-c-c can migrate to it when it is ready and gdm can use it
right away.

First, we need to figure out what the mechanism will be for the daemon
to load different sets of modules for different types of sessions.
One option is to include all the plugins in the gnome-settings-daemon
module tree but have each session individually specify a list of
modules to load.  One possible implementation of this may be as simple
as starting the gnome-settings-daemon with an argument to specify a
gconf key name that contains a list of modules to enable.

Second, we need to convert the reset of the current g-s-d
pseudo-modules to g-s-d plugins.

Thoughts?

Jon