Re: Supporting more color schemes

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 01:02 +0100, Giuseppe Fuggiano wrote:
> Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > Anyway, I'm not convinced that decoupling the colour scheme from
> > the theme is a good idea. I'd actually question whether sharing colour
> > schemes and (un)installing them separately is a scenario that's useful
> > to users beyond a core group of "theming nerds".
> >
> > Jens
> >

> We also could manage themes' color schemes under the theme root (for
> example /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/colorschemes) and the user
> custom under ~/.gnome2/colorschemes with the disadvantage that we
> could not share color schemes between local users easily (we would also
> give up).

I would prefer using the existing scheme too:

* System wide themes: $PREFIX/share/themes/$THEME_NAME/colorschemes
* User installed/created themes: $HOME/.themes/$THEME_NAME/colorschemes

This would allow artists to distribute colour schemes for their themes.

I think the confusion here is whether the colour schemes are tied to a
particular theme (as in the case above) or not. I imagine your
~/.gnome2/colourschemes suggestion is for a user generated list of
colour schemes?

What happens when a user selects a theme - do they see only the colour
schemes for that theme plus their own previously saved schemes, or do
they see the colour schemes from all the themes and their previously
saved ones?

Regards,

Thomas