Re: Appearance Capplet Ideas

Thomas Wood wrote:
On 09/04/07 16:29, Jens Granseuer wrote:
On 08.04.2007 21:33, Thomas Wood wrote:
On 8 Apr 2007, at 16:40, Jens Granseuer wrote:
[...]
1) putting the metatheme stuff above everything else implies that
saving/choosing a theme there also includes settings like fonts,
background, menus & toolbars which it (usually) does not (and
should not).
Why not?
I was mostly thinking about the "options" tab (and, to some extent,
fonts). Those are settings one chooses for a reason, and I
wouldn't like themes to randomly go about changing them.

I would imagine that's why they're optional at the moment too. Windows 98 had a feature in its Desktop Themes application where the user good specify which desktop settings should remain untouched:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/settings/desktopthemes/win98.png

I'll see if I can fit a similar sort of option into the current interface, but it really looks like it would require a separate Desktop Themes application.

Maybe we could just stay with the current way of merely suggesting background and font settings through the metathemes. That way, we can make the theme settings a tab of the appearance capplet without having the problem of one tab changing the other without the user knowing (he or she must explicitly apply the suggestion, so it is obvious that his background/font settings will change). We would also work around the problem of themes randomly overwriting those settings.

Using this idea, I made yet another mockup. Here it is:

http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/appearance.html

Regards,
Denis