Re: File Transfer Dialog

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 21:56 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Calum Benson wrote:

> >> I had a little go at just removing the To: and From: fields, as the
> >> probably aren't relevant when installing themes. The filename is still
> >> visible since there is another label below the progress bar. I don't
> >> think it looks ideal, so I've attached a screenshot for comments.
> >
> > Just a bit heavy on the use of "Copying" I think :)
>
> Yeah, what I thought too :-)
>
> > Couldn't the primary text just be "Copying <filename>" (or even
> > "Installing <filename>", as the user asked to install a theme, not copy
> > one)?  Then you could just as well do away with the progress bar text
> > and the label below it altogether, it doesn't really add any
> > information.
>
> The window doesn't actually show the progress of installing the theme,
> only copying the tarball from one place to a temporary location (which
> was the original reason the destination string needed removing).

Well, yes, but it's all part of the install process as far as the user
is concerned, unless the progress of the actual un-tarring part is
tracked as well.  (Which would be cool, I guess.)

> I also wondered whether it would be good idea to set a minimum width for
> this dialog. Does the HIG say anything about dialog sizes? It seems a
> bit silly to have a dialog as small as this can be.

No minimum dimensions as such, it just mentions that an aspect ratio of
approx. 3:2 (or 2:3) tends to be a pleasing default.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group