Re: merging applets

On 10 Jul 2006, at 11:31, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 18:40 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
So, I totally agree that a bunch of capplets should be
merged/deleted/whatever. However, a few points on the subject.
We obviously don't have time to do this for 2.16. Feature freeze
is less than 2 weeks away now. I'd consider this a major feature
change. We also should be doing usability testing and actual spec
writing for how the merging should happen and what the new UIs should
be like. I'm going to be working on writing up som bits about this
soon.

yeah, no time for 2.16, what we'll do is create the 2.16 branch as soon
as the freezes start, so that we can start this work on HEAD ASAP, to
have it all ready for 2.18.

On that note, I don't exactly agree with all the merging suggestions so
far, or with many of the current capplet UIs.

I don't agree neither myself :) It was just a quick list to start the
discussion. As soon as we have some clear ideas, I'll do some mockups.

In fact, I guess we all agree in merging the 3 keyboard applets, right?
If no one disagrees, I'll start doing the mockup for it.

You might want to run that one past the accessibility guys (cc'ing Bill); they may have a reason to want to keep the a11y keyboard capplet separate, or have it in a (new, merged) Accessibility capplet rather than a (new, merged) keyboard capplet.

If nothing else, the fact that the three keyboard capplets currently have eight tabs between them suggests that a simple merge could prove to be a usability nightmare, but feel free to have a go :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team