Re: Merging "Proxy" and "Network" applets

I don't think a simple i/f to proxy setting is enough - more information needs
to be taken into account

I can see the need for (at least) two places to set the proxies - at the system
level and at the user level.

At the system level it does make sense to link the proxy with the interface
settings, but only in terms of a "Location" profile - taking a machine from one
floor to another in the same building might be enough to cause the network
configuration to change - we're still using the same i/f but the network
environment could be wildly different - hence the need to take more information
in to account.

>From a user perspective, while I think there is a situation where it might be
acceptable to set the proxy for the system and the user *might* be happy with
that, but there will also be cases where the user would like to override the
system setting - e.g. should the proxy server be down, the user has moved the
machine temporarily, x-proxy is faster today, etc... If this is all configured
at the system level, then the user may need access to the system administration
privileges to simply change the proxy (at least on some systems) this wouldn't
make sense to me, so I reckon there will still be a need for a user-level setting.

Darren.