Re: Control-center redux

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 18:50, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:
> >
> > It occurred to me earlier this week that the mouse and keyboard
> > properties capplet shouldn't actually set anything beyond the gconf
> > values.  Instead, we should use the gconf-xsettings daemon.  Here's my
> > rationale:
> >
> > 1) The demon is always running, so if someone else out there sets the
> >    key, it'll get updated.
> >
> > 2) We need to set double-click (and other GTK+ based settings) through
> >    it, anyways.
> >
> > Also, I think we should move gconf-xsettings out of it's own module and
> > into the control-center module.
> >

> and probably rename it "gnome-settings-daemon"
>
> The idea here is to have the "view" for settings be this daemon thing,
> and have the capplets be just GUI code, nothing else.
>
> If we do this for mouse/keyboard I see no reason not to also do it for
> background, i.e. it's a replacement for the --init thingies we have in
> the default session right now.

I generally agree, though with one little technical nitpick: the same
code generates the preview as the desktop image (and I'd rather not
change any of that, since I finally have the rendering pipeline working
really well with relatively clean code!). So we can pull that code out
into a static library and link it in to both the capplet and the daemon.

--
-Bradford Hovinen

We are most probably here for local information-gathering and
local-Universe problem-solving in support of the integrity of
eternally regenerative Universe.

   -- R. Buckminster Fuller