Re: [gnome-women] Membership committee has new members

Hi,

Dave Neary wrote:
> Clytie Siddall wrote:
>> What do you need us to do?

*the* question :)

> I'll let Baris and Sankharshan go into the details, but the short
> version is that the membership committee evaluates whether someone who
> applies for GNOME Foundation membership gets it. They also handle
> membership renewal, and keep a list of eligible foundation voters for
> elections.

All the stuff that keeps the kitchen clean and the house tidy. It is a
fun job and we really look forward to getting more and more members and
at the same time push the turnaround time down as much as we can.

> In the past, we've had trouble handling local user group requests and
> some non-technical contributions. The tone of the membership committee
> has on occasion also suffered from being a little terse/prosaic/blunt
> (pick your favourite) - hopefully, bring in new members will speed up
> the approval/rejection of membership requests, and give the process the
> human touch it needs. There's a fine line to walk between being
> all-embracing (at the risk of making GNOME foundation membership
> meaningless) and pushing away potentially great members.

Hmm...Dave's being polite really ;) The usual issues we have range from
we are being too harsh to we are taking far too long to fulfill a
membership request.

However, fear not. We have taken the sword of efficient functioning to
our way of doing things and right now we have a spiffy system (and
toolset) that's just what the doctor ordered. These allow you to provide
love where it is most required and make the membership a good thing for
a lot of folks (if you don't believe that just check p.g.o for some nice
blog entries from deserving and great new members). All in all, a good
day's work just makes your heart fly.

In the end, I would like to tell you that no contribution to GNOME is
too small and would request that if you feel that you can contribute to
GNOME through becoming a member for your efforts - please join in.

Regards
Sankarshan

- --

You see things; and you say 'Why?';