Re: Thoughts for developer.gnome.org

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 16:10 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> [Originally posted by me to gnome-doc-list. Forwarding here.]
>
> Hi folks,
>
> We discussed a reboot of developer.gnome.org at the hackfest
> in Berlin. I'd like to make a (possibly crazy) suggestion
> about how we can proceed with this. I talked to fredp about
> half of this proposal on IRC.
>
> 1) Let's fill up developer with our documentation, built from
> the code in library-web. Instead of a single library site with
> user and developer docs, we put developer docs on developer and
> user docs on library (maybe call it help.gnome.org instead).
>
> We'd use the same code that's running library.gnome.org right
> now, just with a different config file to only build what we
> want on developer.
>
> 2) Let's get some content on developer that doesn't have to
> be in a version-controlled Mallard or DocBook document. My
> (possibly crazy) idea here is to put WordPress on developer,
> and use some clever rewrite rules in Apache to serve some
> pages with WP and the rest from the build content.
>
> If this hybrid setup can't be made to work, then I'd instead
> propose to put all the built developer docs on something like
> dev.gnome.org, and have all non-document URLs on dev redirect
> to developer, which would be a WP site.
>
> This lets us continue writing most material in documents under
> version control. They can be packages and installed just as
> they are now.
>
> But some material is just too lightweight for a document and
> just doesn't fit into any existing documents. For example,
> the devtools-install document in gnome-devel-docs. This is
> important material, but it should live elsewhere.
>
> Please reply with your thoughts on this. If we could pull
> this off for 3.0, I think we'll knock the developer docs
> story out of the park.

I think the most compelling, and most marketable docs for the new
website are the sample applications built using the different languages.
They showcase the power of the g-i stuff and I hope they are well
received.

I also think it would be good to focus the site on just developer docs.
I found the demo site a little hard to navigate - the navigations is
really deep.

Lets put prominent links to
 * Gtk, GLib and Gio API (latest versions)
 * the multi-language demos
 * platform overview

Everything else can be one more click away (or behind search)

I'd also like to see a landing page for 'how to use gtk etc from non-c
languages.

John