Re: GNOME Installation Howtos

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org> wrote:
> First, thank you so much for helping review and edit the content.

A pleasure to help out on a product I use every day :).

> For installation, I think the original intent of that page was to give
> an overview for building from source or using jhbuild, not for
> upgrading / installing GNOME on distros.  I think the distro support and
> unofficial guides should be out of scope for our website. (Copying the
> marketing list for feedback on this).

There is also http://website-editors.gnome.org/download/sources (just
added some info today, please review); perhaps there should be a link
to that page in case there is no package for a specific distro? It
seems we are targeting "intermediate" users with the /installation
page and more advanced users with /sources.

 IMHO, it wouldn't hurt to have some info for the most common commands
one would use to install GNOME on a system which has it packaged but
for whatever reason not installed. Maybe this is more appropriate for
a support page? Examples would be finding rpms, using apt-get, yum,
other common package managers.

Regards,

Darton