Re: GNOME.org update

I think it's a case of evaluating the right tool for the job. Wordpress is an amazing platform, but putting that aside it's very much designed from the ground up as a blog platform. It can work nicely as a simple CMS system, but anything outside of a basic setup requires some extensive modding / coding to achieve the functionality you would need for building an enterprise class website.

I have worked on a number of migration projects where the initial choice of architecture was built around a tool similar to  Wordpress / Typepad / _expression_ Engine / Joomla and found it can only take you so far in achieving what you need from a CMS system.

For CNN I built a proof of concept site to migrate away from _expression_ engine to Drupal. The site was eminently more scalable and a lot of the "shoe horned" functionality from the blog platform, had native hooks in Drupal which made it easier to add extensive functionality without a heavy development footprint. Drupal was designed for that specific purpose and Wordpress for another.

I think it all comes down to comfort level, I am comfortable to with both platforms, but for a website of the complexity and scale of gnome.org I would recommend Drupal, the multisite features alone would work well with all the different websites that make up the Gnome brand.

Apologies if my email is intruding on the conversation, I am new to the group and love every aspect of the Gnome project.

Cheers Guys

Andy Thornton
mobile: 404.932.7858

www.bohemianpixel.com | @bohemianpixel