Re: GNOME.org update

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 14:12 -0700, Jonathan Wilde wrote:
> I'm concerned about the lack of information here about this new
> WordPress implementation.  I don't know if a demo site will offer
> enough information to make an informed decision.  Is there a public
> source control repository somewhere where we could review the code?

What lack of information?  I was actually proud that I sent an email to
the list based on two conversations at GUADEC - can't get much more
transparent than that.  I also don't understand your comment about a
demo site - how can it not have enough information?

The repo is at:  http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnomeweb-wp/  I'm waiting
for Vinicius to upload his theme and then I'll ask a sysadmin to get the
Apache configs updated to a sub-domain.

> I also have concerns regarding the long-term flexibility of WordPress
> for GNOME.  I've worked with WordPress for years and have been
> continually pleased about how WordPress makes it very easy to get a
> site up.  However, I've found that it is often rather difficult to
> make significant design/architectural changes to large WordPress sites
> after-the-fact without essentially re-writing the custom components.
> And judging by the stops-and-starts we've had here, a theme rewrite,
> regardless of which platform we choose to build on, will be difficult.

The theme is already done - I'm waiting for it to be uploaded to the
repo, but based on the fact that one developer was able to do it in one
afternoon gives me hope that we can actually deploy something this year.

>  Being a very active and vibrant organization, I think that we can
> expect that GNOME will have changing needs over time.
>
> As with anything else, it's important to choose the right tool for the
> job.  Would you build server software with Actionscript?  No.  Even
> though Actionscript might be an easy-to-learn solution, you'd be
> better off in the long-run using Erlang or Scala because they tend to
> scale better in concurrent environments.
>
> Similarly, WordPress is an easy solution that is great for smaller
> sites with relatively static needs.  But will it be flexible enough
> and scale to GNOME's needs in the long run?  I'm not so sure.  On top
> of this, data migration is difficult.  It will probably be difficult
> to move over to another solution in the future.

I'm not going to get into a WP vs Plone debate - we'll get a demo site
up, just like we have today of Plone, and review.  My biggest concern
right now is that in almost 5 years of development we don't have a site.
Considering this has taken that long, I think Wordpress would be far
more flexible than what we have today.  As far as data migration, the
content for most of the pages has already been written, so I'm not
seeing issues around data migration.  We need to get the theme uploaded
from the design team and then add the pages and copy / paste the text
into it from lgo.

Paul