Re: Distro releases, responsibilities and Plone

I mailed you some personal thoughts about what I think. And for everyone else - as Murray has pointed out there is still some work being done in
the background. Personally I dont think one should force those who do
this to make a premature release. I am willing to contribute on many
levels but think those who have more access and backing from the
community should be responsible and leading. Actually I cant do much
more than commenting and providing patches as a result of how GNOME is
organized today.

I like to help getting some things fixed and also some issues from the
list of TODOs. I also think if nobody cares nothing will change. I would
encourage rather the approach of just starting fixing things than the
lets wait for the thing that does it all. I even do not believe that a
deployed Plone will resolve most of the issues. I think a Plone could
help fixing:

* Creating new content for non techies be more easy
* Giving more users the right to add content.
* Make it easier to fix minor errors like spelling errors, updating
URLs, etc.
* Provide a site search
* help structure the content

But if I should guess I would expect that it would take at least six
more months to move most of the content to the Plone site once it is
deployed. And then still there will be pages that will have not been moved.

So I think its great if Plone will become the great tool ir promises to
be but I also think it will be a bug relief for those working on its
implementation if things are being fixed now.

I do not care if my patches are being replaced by something better in
the future, but as long as they are not here, I think its more important
to encourage people to sub, it patches and to apply them.

I also like to thank everybody who invested their time and effort up
till now.

Regards,
Thilo

In regards for patches, for the website that's one thing but for the Plone site; to date, since I last spent a solid couple of days working on it. Nothing has progressed. The main issue is rewriting the portlet code and I'd need a day or two to deal with it.

-C