Re: The problem on the foundation front page

<quote who="Sergey Udaltsov">

> > Environment".  As for pulling out of GNU, I don't think anyone sees much
> > problem doing that.
> It would be a pity, if it is true. I hope it is not. The values of GNU
> attracted a number of people to GNOME - especially initially, when
> Qt/KDE was not free.
>
> > member.  What I'm saying is that GNOME being part of GNU is symbolic at
> The main contribution of GNU is ethics. So, either GNOME shares GNU
> ideas about freedom - or not. If it does - I would not call that
> relation as "symbolic" in a sense you put into it;)

I think the point here is this: GNOME being "part of the GNU Project" is not
very relevant these days in practical terms. No big deal, but it probably
makes sense to change our public statements about that. In terms of beliefs
about freedom, GNOME is absolutely dedicated to "Software Freedom", but few
of us think that's incompatible with describing what we do as "Open Source"
occasionally. I don't know too many GNOMErs who don't think these are two
sides of the same coin, and can clearly explain why both terms are important
and useful.

Thanks,

linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

             Toothpaste is the most important meal of the day.