Re: The problem on the foundation front page

Behdad

> Note that not every GNOME contributor / foundation member agrees with
I totally understand that. In my last message I said:
Of course, unless GNOME foundation would like to make an accent on the
Free Software message - which is definitively not for me to decide.

> I think you are reading too much into it.  It's just the front page
Quite possible:) I just think that "A sometimes is referred to as B"
without saying "but actually these are different things" can be read
as "A is about the same as B" (by the people who do not have prior
knowledge about difference between A and B). Am I wrong?

> Environment".  As for pulling out of GNU, I don't think anyone sees much
> problem doing that.
It would be a pity, if it is true. I hope it is not. The values of GNU
attracted a number of people to GNOME - especially initially, when
Qt/KDE was not free.

> member.  What I'm saying is that GNOME being part of GNU is symbolic at
The main contribution of GNU is ethics. So, either GNOME shares GNU
ideas about freedom - or not. If it does - I would not call that
relation as "symbolic" in a sense you put into it;)
> best.  Neither project uses resources from the other one or anything.  I
> don't see any point breaking that symbolic relation for something as
> simple as the original issue you raised.
Well, I think we could just use slightly more accurate wording - it
would be better and simpler from any POV.

> Just to get it out of the way, I suggest rewording to... Umm, was going
> to suggest something like "GNOME is Free Software and developed as Open
> Source" or something, but checking front page right now, seems like
> someone already removed that sentence for good.
Ghm... I am looking at the page http:///www.gnome.org/foundation and still see:

GNOME is part of the GNU Project, and is Free Software  (sometimes
referred to as Open Source software).

Could you please change it to the variant you propose (or the one
proposed by Michael)?

Thanks for understanding,

Sergey