Re: The problem on the foundation front page

Behdad,

First of all, I am sorry for using the wrong list. But I thought that
position expressed the views of the Foundation, so the Foundation
should be aware...

> I think that sentence is very accurate.  And it doesn't state them as
> synonyms, no.  It's the same as "GNU/Linux (commonly referred to as
> Linux)" you find on http://www.gnome.org/about/.  The first term is the
> preferred/correct one while the one in brackets helps connecting a
> phrase familiar to many people.  I personally don't have any problem
> with either one.
I think it is entirely against the spirit of Free Software (the way
RMS usually represents it). Instead of emphasysing the difference
between ethics of freedom - and just development model - that sentence
implicitly removes that difference - and shows that for GNOME that
difference does not matter. If it IS the case - GNOME probably should
take the first letter in the name off (and pull out of the GNU
Project). If it is not - the difference should be articulated, don't
you think? I know, that mistake (FS ~= OSS) is made my many uneducated
people. But we in GNOME are educated about these things, aren't we?

Regards,

Sergey