Re: [wgo] Polishing navigation bars

Quim Gil wrote:
*** GNOME bar (black at the top)
- We can consider it a stable beta.
- Look&feel works, URLs work.
- Still open to improvements but it can be released as it is now.

+1

*** wgo primary bar (the tabs)
- Still missing tabs, I will add them.
- I think the eyes notice first the secondary bar and consider it more
relevant. Tabs should be bigger, perhaphs brighter. Bolder fonts?
Also, the fact that is aligned to the right helps its non-visibility
next to the secondary bar.
- Current section should be highlighted in the tabs, so the users sees
clearly where she is.

Do you need artwork for this? I can export some sliced artwork for this out of the SVG work I have.

- The tab of the current section could have no border to the secondary
nav bar, this way we have a single navigation bar, so to say. This way
we also avoid having to duplicate items in primary and secondary. Now
"Take the tour" appears twice.
- Clicking to a tab should bring the user automatically to the page.
If I click to the "Take the tour" tab I should get the content. Now
http://gnome.jardigrec.eu/en/take-the-tour/ is an index.

+1

*** wgo secondary bar (the bar below the tabs)
- Fonts are also small (like happens generally in all the plone wgo),
they need to be bigger.
- Current page should be highlighted in the secondary nav bar, so
users know where they are.

+1, I can export artwork slices for this too if needed.

- I'm unconvinced about the fact that the bar doesn have a beginning
and end. Perhaps it would look better if starting at the left edge of
the big GNOME logo in the header and finishing at the right edge of
the last tab in the primary nav bar.

Do you want to try it with a little bevel on the far left and far right?

- Can we save some horizontal space between text and borders of each
item? This way we have a shorter bar, which will help making fit the
Take the Tour section in one line. Getting a second line i.e. in
800x600 is not that bad, I think. Better than forcing horizontal
scrolling, as many websites do.

I'm using 1024x768 and 4 items spill over into a second level of the secondary nav bar. I kind of think this is just way too much content. There are a couple of different approaches you could take:

First one - each of the pages is a nice, small, digestable chunk of text. Could the tour be treated a little separately than other content in plone, eg., could it have its own special navbar (maybe a sidebar?), and be designed with more of a 'wizard' format (something you walk through step-by-step from beginning to end, so you'd click "next" and "back") rather than a normal site format (where you don't necessarily go through every page or go through everything in order)?

Second one - Maybe there is a better way to organize the different parts of the tour? E.g., right now it looks like:

- Take the tour - redundant. Looks like the introductory text that should be displayed with the first-level 'take the tour' tab.

- Simply Powerful & Essential Tools - these two share a similar theme and I think could be combined

- Windows/Mac - not sure what this is about, doesn't seem to have content

- Multilingual - if Windows/Mac talks about compatibility across OSs, this could be related - compatibility across languages

- Standarized - not sure, no content yet, but maybe combined with the other two above

- Shipped by... - basically a distro list.

- Deployments - example deployments im sure

- Development & Innovation - seem like they could go together

- Community

- Free!

I would suggest revising this to:

- "What you need" - Simply Powerful & Essential Tools
- "Speaks your Language" - Multilingual content, standardization?
- "Ahead of the Curve" - development & innovation
- "All about People" - community, deployments, shipped by (people involved in the community + demonstrating 'who' uses it, including distros and deployments')
- "Free"

Then you go from 12 nav items to 5. I don't think you really want anymore than 5-7 nav items on any one level. It's just too overwhelming cognitively to have more than that, especially considering the number of navigation bars already.

~m