Re: Management of Data.fs

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 13:13 -0500, Christopher Warner wrote:
> Can someone commit Data.fs to trunk or put it in an area we can be
> positive it doesn't go down?

I guess it's too big for svn, and I can't think of a better place right
now to put it on GNOME's servers. For now I've put a copy here (though
it will take an hour to fully upload):
http://www.murrayc.com/misc/Data.fs
I know that's far from ideal.

> We are going to need to manage the master
> Data.fs file.
>
> This will involve setting up an installation of what we currently have
> so all of can access it. Any new pages that are added or any content
> will be added to the Data.fs file.

Yes, that is what we are all working on now.

>  Any new code added to a product etc
> will have to be deployed on a schedule.
>
> I know everyone is just getting up to speed here but is there a concrete
> plan with deadlines and milestones we wish to reach in regards to all of
> this? Also who are or were the key players involved here.

The decision makers for this are myself and Quim Gil. Probably mostly
me.

>  If not we
> should begin with a plan; i'm also willing to help here but I don't want
> what's going on.

I'm not prepared to dream up any time schedule for the rest of the work
until we have a test version of the site deployed. That will require
a) Any one of us can install and browse it on our own PCs.
b) We have simple deployment instructions that allow a GNOME sysadmin
(Olav, I expect) to deploy it without understanding too much about what
is happening.

After we have that test site we will do a call for testing in the
community. We'll then wait for about one week, after which we'll have
several more bug reports in bugzilla which we can prioritize (or punt)
and use to decide when we could be ready for the actual deployment.

In general, we will go for "good enough" with no major regressions
compared to the current site. Perfection can happen later.

So, in summary, our plans should be clearer in a few days.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com