Re: navbar for regional sites

2006/10/31, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org>:
On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 12:37 +0100, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have some things in common,
> but maybe the general nav bar is a bit too much?

Yes, probably. Also, it doesn't make much sense to offer a bar full of
links to GNOME subsites in English... in regional websites that are very
likely to be written in other languages.

One question also often comes to my mind:

Some people speak one language but live in a country that has another
primary language - I know people who have their desktops in russian,
french and turkish - so how do they fit in all this?

I think that we also probably need to have internationalisation on the
regional sites. Also events like the Linux World Expo in Cologne
attracts users who speak other languages than german in Germany. So my
question is how they make their way to the information they need?

I think there will be different ways - I am taking Germany as an example:

A) Somebody who is german who speaks german reads an article where
www.gnome.org is linked - he than should get to a page in german that
offers him some choices:
* Go to the subsite for Germany
* read about GNOME in German (should this be de.gnome.org ? )

B) A french student who lives in Germany goes the same way and then...
he should also get the chance to go to the regional subsite but read
things in french.

C) Somebody from the USA is touring through Germany and wants to know
about upcoming GNOME events here. Where should he find that
information? Do we need an international GNOME event calendar ?

Maybe the best solution is if people that are not anonymous to the
GNOME sites whould have an account, so that the server knows:
1. what language the user likes to read
2. what regions he is interested in or where he is living

This only as a start. Region and language are just two things and it
is often not adequate to assume too much from an anonymous user
(because he just might sit in an internet cafe and use the browser
settings that do not fit to him).

So to come back t the navbar - the idea that i liked was that it does
not assume very much about the user and rather gives ever english
speaking user the possibility to get to the information he might be
looking for.

www.gnome.org better, I think. After the 2.18 release, if there are wgo
translations available they will be recognized by the browser and there
will be a visible language selector in the header.

The user should always have the choice to switch the language at any
time (so this choice should not be hidden).

Thilo

--
Blog: http://vinci.wordpress.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tpfennig