Re: *.gnome.org common header

Claus.

I have been taking part in these discussions on the wiki and I have
added my opinions to http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb several times, you
know that. I've revisited this page today before writing my post to see
what was under "About GNOME" and the other tabs planned.

A navigation bar is not a representation of a structure, is a tool to
navigate. If a user landing to guadec.org needs to know about GNOME and
we have in the nav bar a "<foot> GNOME" element I think it's enough and
clearer than "<foot> GNOME | About GNOME". Repeating the same word in a
nav bar, specially in contiguous tabs is not an elegant solution. No
matter if you have 200 pages underneath.

And, well, at least today http://gnome.org/ is a more explanatory and
exciting page for total newbies than http://gnome.org/about/ - which is
the first link in that visible "What is GNOME?" block in the homepage.
And we need a solution for today, not for the unknown day the whole wgo
revamp is finished.

That's it, that was my point. Sorry for not having delivered the whole
explanation in the first email, but let me a chance to have an amusing
discussion with you.

Another thing about the plans written in a wiki is that one day you
start prototyping and, yes, new ideas, perspectives and problems arise.
The "About GNOME" made sense to me in the wiki structure. Now that I see
it in a real nav bar next to the "<foot> GNOME" I think it's redundant
and unnecessary. Sorry, I'm not that visionary to see all the details in
advance. And I come here suggesting to remove the tab with a "I think we
could remove..." open to discussion as any post landing in this list.

>  The whole attempt of genereating a global header from the needs of a
> specialized page is ridiculus. The above suggestion proves my point.

Let's see, we learn either by deduction or induction - most of the times
combining both processes in iterations. As ridiculous is to find a
result from the general to the specific only than to find it from the
specific to the general only. A lot of planning work was done on the
wiki starting from the general. Good. Now we have here a specific
problem and we try to find a solution taking what has been discussed and
implementing it. It is normal that new elements appear when you work on
specifics.

I'm sorry that you find this ridiculous and not amusing. What are our
alternatives though? Implement at guadec.org whatever we feel it's
appropriate or shut up when we see things that could be improved not to
annoy anyone?

Mann, we are here to enjoy!