Re: The future of gup in developer and bugzilla

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:27:41 +1300
John Williams <john williams lists gmail com> wrote:

> I happen to agree with Shaun however, if by "public facing" we mean "for
> consumption by people who have no interest in getting involved in the
> GNOME community".  Not beyond using GNOME and related applications, I
> mean.  The reason is simple: if we want to look organised and
> professional, so that we are a reasonable alternative DE/OS offerings,
> l.g.o. is never going to convey that. (And nor should it, that's not
> what it's for!)
>
> The only problem is developer.gnome.org or maybe library.gnome.org: I
> think they should be living sites, and hence on some kind of wiki.  But
> I am not a developer, so my opinions should be down-weighted ;-)

 Replacing dgo by something else was already planned IIRC. I didn't
wanted to post yet it but well, here's a mockup (the advertising is new,
sorry about that):

 http://clausi.cl.funpic.de/gnome/technology/

 Theoretically, it will just link to team pages on live.go and to
documentation on library.go. The technology section is just for
third-party developers and potential GNOME contributors.

 (Oh, and if someone feels like formulating the remaining text: Go for
it!)

 The lack of library.go is a more important problem, IMHO. There's not
even basic code in a public CVS, if I'm not mistaken. Additionally, it
seems several people have also different views on what is should offer.
Thus, it's quite hard to grab someone and say: Code it! ;-)

 Of course, if someone feels like "Oh, ok. I'll do the lgo planning and
a few layout mockups in our wiki, then" -- that would rock!

 BTW: We also have the intention to get people involved in the GNOME
community, remember?  Commmunity marketing and all that? ;-)

 A few links to live.go from the main page won't hurt.

 Add a proper CSS file for live.go so that is looks like usual GNOME
pages, and the basics are there.

 Additionally, think of moving all project pages to projects.go so that
we'll be able to offer something better than CVS for their maintainers
and our web pages are in sufficiently good shape, AFAICT.

Cheers,
Claus