Re: [wgo] XHTML1.0 Strict vs HTML 4.01

2006/12/9, Ricky Zhou <ricky zhou gmail com>:

Actually, the conversion from good HTML to XHTML is painless and
automatic.

The thing is that we not only going to switch a few handcrafted pages
but a whole template engine, then. You can not use tidy for that. Tidy
can only show you how the end result should look like. You can only
use Tidy für static pages. And as Plone already seems to use XHTML we
will have to translate every module not to produce XHTML just to turn
all thing backwards as soon as we can send the right mime type and
XHTML is to be preferred. At MoinMoin we have currently started to
rewrite some code to produce more conform HTML and this is really
difficult (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinBugs/Invalid_HTML_4.01).
Maybe this is more easy in Plone - I have not looked at the code.

I'm arguing that it simply isn't XHTML in the first place, and
therefore, there isn't any reason to use send XHTML as HTML.

Yes, you've repeatedly stated that. This is no practical argument at all.

Thilo

--
Blog: http://vinci.wordpress.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tpfennig