Re: [wgo] GNOME Products

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:36:30 +0100
"Simone Deponti" <shywolf9982 gmail com> wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 10:57 +0100, Simon Rozet wrote:
> > > IMHO, for that sort of "non-ordinary" application, Plone will not
> > > fit.
> >
> > Since speaking from the technical ignorance is almost free, let me
> > draw a possibility to see if it's feasible:
> >
> > 1. We create product pages (Evince, Tomboy, Evolution...) with Plone
> > using a specific template containing the fields agreed (title,
> > description, project URL etc). wgo editors and project developers
> > can create and edit these pages.
> >
> > 2. We find a Plone way to create the defined index pages, either
> > using http://plone.org/products/plonesoftwarecenter or something we
> > hack.
> >
> > 3. We find a Plone way to export the content of the project pages in
> > DOAP format and make it available to the GNOME projects. We need to
> > think how to do this in combination with i18n.
>

> I'm not the most seasoned Plone developer around, but I think it's
> perfectly feasible.

To complete Task 2 ("Decide if we go for http://plone.org/products/plonesoftwarecenter, a custom made Plone module or something living outside from Plone."), we need a definitive answer.

Could a Plone developer ensure us that it is feasible?

> > BTW, if we use Plone, I think I'll be forced to drop the goal since
> > I don't know Plone
> >
> > The requirements would be the same, it's only the implementation
> > that would be different. Goal coordinators take care of the
> > planning, they don't need to go necessarily through all the
> > implementation. It would be a pity to lose you, since you have
> > invested a lot of time figuring out of the GNOME Products should
> > work.
> >
> > I think it would be great that you stay no matter the technology we
> > use for the implementation.
>

> I agree on this point aswell: actually, more than the code-writing
> itself I think it's important to have an overall study of the problem.
> More or less what we do on this list: not all the participants know
> about Plone, but they are able to give ideas and directions to the
> actual developers.

OK, I'll remain the GnomeProducts goal coordinator.

BTW, I have just discovered DOAP:store http://doapstore.org
It fetch DOAPs files discovered by pingthesemanticweb.com and produce human-readable with them.
May I can set a task to set a relation with PTSW and DOAP:store ? What's your opinion ?

--
Simon Rozet - http://atonie.org