Re: *.gnome.org common header

On 4/2/06, Steve Judd <sjudd accesstoledo com> wrote:
> Hello everyone. My name is Steve Judd. I've been lurking on the list for
> some time. This discussion peaked my interest so I thought I'd put
> something together to try to keep the discussion going.
>
> I've attached a tar archive that contains the www.gnome.org front page
> and the first level of the existing gnome pages (contact, foundation,
> etc). I reworked them all into a format similar to what Shaun provided
> (with some changes).

Thanks.

First of all I really appreciate all the work done to have a common
header for all the various GNOME sites. But I still want to have
something simpler for Bugzilla. Ideally I want all the GNOME subsites
links to be 'hidden'. I can understand that it can be useful when just
browsing all the sites, but I believe too many non-site specific links
are bad. We did receive complaints about the previous b.g.o layout
that it had too many links.

The links are on the exact place where I'd want the 'new bug',
'search', etc links. I can understand this being useful on a website,
but I see Bugzilla as different. It is an application with a
webinterface. Switching from Bugzilla to another GNOME site is not
something I do often (well.. maybe a planet GNOME links ;). I can
understand a random person (user) being redirected to a random bug
might like such links, but I think those are in the minority. It is
far more useful to add links about the product (homepage, specific
support site, latest releases, etc).

What I was thinking about was a list using <ul> and <li> that is
transformed into a menu using css. Then the GNOME part could be under
a 'GNOME' text / 'support' link. Or maybe a 'Support' -> 'Bugzilla'
(where Bugzilla is the same as the existing Bugzilla white text in the
header). But the menu conflicts with me hating menus where the top one
is clickable.

One example:
 * GNOME (maybe some other name)
 * New bug
 * etc (the header is dynamic.. depending on your access you will see
more options)

But I hate it when 'GNOME' would have a menu and 'New bug' not. Is bad
for usability (IMO). So I do not have a good suggestion.

Again I can understand the header for the GNOME websites and thanks
for the work.

Noticed that in the exampled the links are not underlined. Personally
I hate it when links are underlined and I have changed my browser
preference. However, I've always wondered if this should be changed
using a style sheet (meaning: accessibility). Will it cause a problem
with accessibility?

PS: I missed most of the discussion that came before..

Regards,
Olav