Re: *.gnome.org common header

Hi Olav (and all),

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 15:13 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On 4/2/06, Steve Judd <sjudd accesstoledo com> wrote:

[snip]

> > I've attached a tar archive that contains the www.gnome.org front page
> > and the first level of the existing gnome pages (contact, foundation,
> > etc). I reworked them all into a format similar to what Shaun provided
> > (with some changes).
>
> Thanks.
>
> First of all I really appreciate all the work done to have a common
> header for all the various GNOME sites. But I still want to have
> something simpler for Bugzilla. Ideally I want all the GNOME subsites
> links to be 'hidden'. I can understand that it can be useful when just
> browsing all the sites, but I believe too many non-site specific links
> are bad. We did receive complaints about the previous b.g.o layout
> that it had too many links.

I can understand about too many links being a problem. Especially if
they dominate the intended main content of the page.

> The links are on the exact place where I'd want the 'new bug',
> 'search', etc links. I can understand this being useful on a website,
> but I see Bugzilla as different. It is an application with a
> webinterface. Switching from Bugzilla to another GNOME site is not
> something I do often (well.. maybe a planet GNOME links ;). I can
> understand a random person (user) being redirected to a random bug
> might like such links, but I think those are in the minority. It is
> far more useful to add links about the product (homepage, specific
> support site, latest releases, etc).

I happen to be a person who likes to jump around a site. When I go to
w.g.o., I usually want to do several things and using bugzilla may be
only one of them. I also tend to get distracted easily. I click my way
from here to there and pretty soon I'm a long way from where I started.
I want some way to show I'm still in the same site or if I've gone off
the site. I also want an easy way back (lazy :-) ).

FWIW, I think of bugzilla as an integral part of w.g.o. and find it a
bit disconcerting that there isn't an easy, obvious way to get back to
w.g.o. after visiting bugzilla. It makes me have to think and thinking
makes my head hurt!

[snip]

> Noticed that in the exampled the links are not underlined. Personally
> I hate it when links are underlined and I have changed my browser
> preference. However, I've always wondered if this should be changed
> using a style sheet (meaning: accessibility). Will it cause a problem
> with accessibility?

I don't care much for underlined links either. The problem, as I see it,
is that links have been blue and underlined forever. I wonder how many
people might be disturbed or confused when links are NOT blue and
underlined. I also wonder about accessibility issues. I don't have a
good feel for how much contrast might be necessary between the link and
the surrounding text to make the link stand out as a link.

> PS: I missed most of the discussion that came before..
>
> Regards,
> Olav

I re-worked the bugzilla page with the common header and am including it
as an attachment. It should go right into the wgo directory from my last
post. You'll need to copy the quicksearch and localconfig script files
to wgo/ directory also. Put gnomebug02.html into wgo/, bug-buddy.png
(yes - I 'borrowed' another image) into wgo/images/ and bugzilla.css
into wgo/styles/ and take a look at it.

If I understand your objections to a common header, I would say that it
is intrusive into the bugzilla page. As I look at it, it doesn't really
intrude much but does provide the tie-in with w.g.o. and solves my
problems I mentioned above.

I'm interested to know what you think about it.

Thanks.

Steve

p.s. I didn't test it to see if everything works. I quite likely broke
some things.

p.p.s. The page does validate as xhtml 1.0 and the stylesheet as css 2.