Re: Signing off the wgo goals

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 15:09 +0100, Claus Schwarm wrote:
> Hi, Quim!
>
> I'm glad you mention it: I added the goals to the GnomeWeb page
> because they were listed elsewhere, and made sense, basically. However,
> having a few more opinions about them can't hurt. ;-)
>
> My 2cts:
>
>  * Easy navigation
>
>    The draft structure for wgo is derived from the WebUseCases [1] which
> should make navigation easy for most people. Of course, a critical
> review would help.
>
>  * Easy Modification
>
>    The best solution for wgo would be a system that enables editing via
> a rear entry [2], has proper URLs, needs no db, and allows for some
> dynamic daily updates on the frontpage and elsewhere.
>
>    In fact, we have so many different sub-sites/services running that
> it's an illusion to think wgo could be much more than a yahoo style
> directory structure.
>
>    Our current way of doing wgo just sucks due to the complicated
> makefile stuff. Changing the content shouldn't be easy, IMHO.
>
>    The only service we're really missing is an "events table service"
> that delivers a feed to update our frontpage, and where people can
> enter, and maintain GNOME events worldwide.
>
>  * Enable the use of multiple languages
>
>    All multiple language sites I can remember to have visited sucked;
> especially the ones we currently have. It may be better with automatic
> browser language detection and a web design that allows and remembers
> manual switching to all other languages by default; inlcuding a English
> fallback for none translated content.
>
>  * Access for disabled people (eg. Blind, Color Blind, etc.)
>
>    Shouldn't be a problem.

I have little to add at this time as Claus has expressed my own
thoughts.

I Think we can be shopping for implementation software as we vet and
refine our webusecases. The webusecases certainly will eliminate a few
contenders and help us refine our information architecture. I suspect
that by looking a the kinds of IA implemented by some of the software,
and their features, we might fill in some of the gaps in our own
webusecases.

sinzui is verizon net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.