Re: Signing off the wgo goals

Hi,

Le jeudi 22 d�mbre 2005 �3:02 +0100, Quim Gil a �it :
> * Enable the use of multiple languages

This is the thing I'm most interested in (it doesn't mean it's the most
important thing ;-)). So let me add some comments.

> Agreed in the principle, but we also need to define what does this
> means. Or at least what are the objective the revamp v1.0 aims to cover.
>
> There are many ways to enable multiple languages but we need to define
> where and how we want to enable them:
>
> - What are the translatable areas? All of them like the GNOME Desktop?
> Or should we start enabling l10n of only some parts? Which ones?

Ideally, I'd like to have all areas translatable. But this is a huge
task, and thus I suggest we start with the most viewed areas. This would
probably be the front page, About, Download, Contact. And maybe Support.

Anyway, if a page is not translated, it should of course fall back to
the english version.

> - How is the revamp affecting http://de.gnome.org/ ,
> http://es.gnome.org/ , http://fr.gnome.org/ ....?

Right now, it's not clear what those sites are. I can speak for the fr
one, though :-)

We're aliasing fr.gnome.org to www.gnomefr.org. But I'd very much prefer
to have fr.gnome.org be a french version of www.gnome.org and
www.gnomefr.org be the website of GNOME-FR. This would tremendously help
with our website since right now we have a lot of stuff on gnomefr.org
that should just be in the french version of gnome.org.

> - We want interaction, so translation goes together with localized
> interaction: how are we going to integrate forums, mailing lists, wikis
> on this?

(continuing with the fr example)

Forums: http://fr.gnome.org/forums/ ? Right now, thanks to Luke, we now
have http://fr.gnomesupport.org/ and we're planning to have
http://fr.gnomedesktop.org/ in the future too.

Mailing lists: we can make a page listing the important mailing lists
and the french-speaking mailing lists.

Wikis: I'm not sure what we'll have in the wikis yet, but I'd love to
see something like wikipedia, where you have links to the same page
you're looking at but in other languages (box at the bottom left).

> If we are talking about a tools&subsites based gnome.org we need to
> check the l10n aspects of any subsite and any tool.

Right.

In the end, I'd really love to have something like
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�