Re: Cutting down the amount of text on the gnome.org

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:25 -0700, Corey Burger wrote:
> On 8/12/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> > <quote who="Andreas Nilsson">
> >
> > > Ok, something like this is what I had in mind.
> > > http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/gnomeorgfront-prop.png
> > > (some extra stuff on in the top of that one, but ignore this for now as
> > > I won't do anything about it right now)
> >
> > Alright - let's chat about this more some time, I think we can be quite a
> > bit bolder than this, if we're going to make a change at all. :-)
> >
> > - Jeff
>
> The current front page and the new mockup doesn't really answer the
> question " How do I get it?"
>
> To that end, that paragraph in the upper corner needs to point a page
> about getting it. Renovating the Footware page and moving it to better
> URL would be a good start.

In general, I don't think "how can I get it" is the first question
we want to answer. At least, unless the way we answer is to point
people to a page about all the operating systems that are using
GNOME as their desktop.

People who have Linux on their system, but not GNOME, and are
technically capable of installing GNOME themselves are just a tiny
fraction of our users.

GNOME is not Firefox, it's not the GIMP, etc.

Doing some referer analysis on www.gnome.org might be interesting,
but things I think people might be interested in are things like:

 - What is GNOME?
 - Why is GNOME cool?
 - I'm using GNOME, I want to get add-on software
 - I'm using GNOME, how do I get involved

As rough classification, people coming into www.gnome.org will fall
into two categories:

 A) People who read about GNOME or heard about GNOME and want
    to find out what it is
 B) People already using GNOME who want to use it as a "portal"

Regards,
						Owen