Re: Breaking www.gnome.org down a bit

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:02:25 -0400
Curtis Hovey <sinzui cox net> wrote:

> It's very nice.  I like it more than the gnome-files site.

Thanks very much. :)

Most people I asked so far seem to like it, too.

> Before getting to mockups, we do need to settle our requirements.
> I've got that on my own todo list.  The strictest requirement is that
> the software site *not* be dynamic.  We are moving aways from
> interactive applications for content features like this.  The search
> feature is a different matter.  But the content only needs to be
> regenerated when the database is updated.  What we are looking for is
> a catalog and index of apps.  Each app gets a page, a brochure, to
> sell itself to users and developers.

Yes, the requirements is indeed best to start with. But the last time I
asked, responses about requirements were not very clear.

I understand the concerns about dynamic websites after the security
problems half a year ago.

> Writing without much consideration, I'd say we want to see a name, a
> one line description, a paragraph to sell itself, a list of key
> features, and a screenshot.  We need a sidebar for users that presents
> the homepage url, the status of the app, GNOME versions, distro
> downloads, and user-guide.  We need a sidebar for developers that
> lists the maintain, contact info, repository info, langauge/APIs used.
>  We want a
> simple single page, and www.apple.com/software may be a start of what
> we want.
>
> I think there are use cases for:
> User downloads an app to complete some task.
> User looks for an app for a pointer to documentation.
> User checks for updates to an app he already has.
> User wants to dress up their desktop...discovers art.gnome.org
> Developer looks for an app that has features he wants to hack on.
> Developer looks for an app that uses a language or API of interest.

Thank you very much for the details. :-)

I understand these are not the last words, and will probably be refined.

One question thought, if you don't mind: What software should be listed
there? This is the most important part, IMHO, to get an idea on how the
use cases could be reached.

For example, you could mean software.gnome.org to be an index for
selected projects, maybe only those hosted by gnome. Or it could lists
all projects that "hook" themselves in, just like planet.gnome.org

I ask because from your description it reads a little bit like the
"project detail page" should be a replacement for a project homepage,
and the apple software site also looks like this.

I think, it would be helpful if you'd share your point of view
on this. :-)

Claus