Re: Breaking www.gnome.org down a bit

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:38 +0100, Ross Golder wrote:
> Am I OK to simply commit a new project site to gnomeweb-
> wml/www.gnome.org/projects/gtranslator, or are there some guidelines I'm
> missing?

It is OK.  You are responsible for all the content inside your project's
directory.

> Also, why not create a /cvs/sites (separate to /cvs/gnome), and break
> the websites down into smaller, more manageable modules (gnomeweb-wml is
> monolithic!). For example, the 'gnomeweb-wml' module could be moved
> verbatim for starters, and then the project subdirs could be broken off
> one-at-a-time into separate modules, adding Apache aliases to retain
> it's structure web-wise.

I think this is exactly the kind of solution jdub is thinking of.  He's
already split off the user-guide docs into a separate directory and used
and alias to put them back into w.g.o.

We want to keep w.g.o compact.  We will create library.gnome.org to
store all documents that have historical value.  w.g.o will link to the
library content, and change the links as it needs without growing in
size.

Doing the same for our software projects seams a natural progression.
(I really must ignore my family and make the software map replacement.)
We may want a software.gnome.org in the future, just as we have art.
gnome.org now.  The projects pages may not be the same thing as the
softwaremap replacement--we want the replacement to deliver a consistent
brochure that is user-friendly, and can point developers to the
project's home.

> I just went to create a http://www.gnome.org/projects/gtranslator/ page,
> but as I unpacked a copy of the existing site,  I noticed a shedload of
> tarballs mixed into the document tree. Not wanting to commit another few
> tens of megs to the already bloated 'gnomeweb-wml' module, I simply
> unpacked it in my homedir on window, and added an
> 'Alias /projects/gtranslator' in the apache conf until I'm sure what I
> should do.

That will work.

> Firstly, would I be right to simply commit the whole site to gnomeweb-
> wml/www.gnome.org/projects/gtranslator, or are there some guidelines I'm
> missing?
>
> Also, just to throw an idea into the mix - How about creating
> a /cvs/sites (separate to /cvs/gnome), and break the websites down into
> smaller, more manageable chunks. For example, the 'gnomeweb-wml' module
> could be moved verbatim, and then the project subdirs could be broken
> off into separate modules, adding Apache aliases to retain it's
> structure web-wise.

I like that idea a lot.  Do we belong in the hosting business?  We are
hosting a lot of projects in a haphazard way.  Since we do let any GNOME
project setup some project pages, it would be easier on all of us for
separating responsibilities if we separated the content.  I recall jdub
discuss the need for some more automated way for project maintainers to
create their pages, something more than a blog, something less than
Zope.

> Either way, before I commit anything to CVS, I want to move the tarballs
> out of the document tree and move them to a seperate area, preferably a
> 'gtranslator' area on 'ftp.gnome.org'. Can anyone tell me how I should
> go about this?

Tag, someone more knowledgeable is can answer this.

> I'd also like to start making future gtranslator releases through
> gnome.org (instead of sf.net). I'm hoping to get a 1.2.0 version out in
> the next few weeks (/months) with plurals support and completely new po
> file parsing/writing routines (it's gonna rock!). I've heard talk of a
> special gnome.org file release script, but as yet I've never used.
> Again, where can I find more information?

Stumped me again.  Maybe the next person on the list can help.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.