Re: Gnome.org needs major improvement

I have been following this list for some time and I've finally decided to break
my silence (and it'll help me avoid doing any work this morning :) ).

Quoting Robert McMeekin <rrm3 rrm3 org>:

> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:44 +0100, Martin Alderson wrote:
> > It is a pretty sad affair as of now, with no focus on any elements of
> > the site and really bad design and usability practices on the site.
>
> The main issue it seems is that there is a lot of information for
> developers on a page that should be for end users? (Hey, when you say it
> that way it really doesn't sound like the end of the world.)

I too have been frustrated by the information architecture of the site.  I have
been following the development of the site since GNOME 1.2 and can see that a
lot of work has gone into it.  As a user of the site I do feel some work is
still required in this area - Martin has some valid points.  My frustration is
often not just the way the information is organised but also the apparent lack
of it in some areas.  Just yesterday I wanted to find some information on
gnome-volume-manager (which sounds like an excellent piece of software) but,
apart from a few items in the mailing list archives (which weren't easy to
find) and cvs, I could find nothing on the software.  What I was looking for was
a project page with information about the application. Shouldn't gnome.org be
the place to find this sort of thing?

> > The font is also a size too big for the homepage. Not a big issue but
> > severely stops you putting more on the home-page.
>
> They aren't setting the font size, you are.

I've got no problem with the font size.  The variable width design might mean
those with really low resolutions would have some problems.  Kudos to the
current designers for choosing to use a standards compliant, variable width
design.

> > Another problem is how you edit the homepage, which I think is way too
> > hard. Designers are not good at programmer style CVS commands, and
> > programmers are not good at design. Simple as that, in general, please
> > don't make designers use CVS.
>
> I don't agree at all--many designers seem to work out well with CVS.
> the current GNOME website, for example, is very pretty.

Being someone who uses CVS for website design I can see where Martin is coming
from.  However, I think with the collaborative development style I think CVS is
the right tool for the job.  CVS need not be that scary or difficult to use.
If the command line is the problem for designers (which I can appreciate being
one who likes to use GUI when its available) then there are a variety of GUI
tools for CVS available on various platforms.  I can imagine the gnome cvs
tutorial (http://developer.gnome.org/feature/current/) isn't going to be too
helpful for a designer, new to cvs, trying to work with the gnome web
repository.  If we feel this is scaring people away can I suggest we write a
guide for designers that is more specific to the gnome web cvs and includes
information on the GUI tools?  I would certainly be willing to author/assist in
authoring this guide.

Actually while I'm at it can I offer my services in general.  Is there anything
in the above that I can assist in making happen or maybe just a TODO list
somewhere that I can start submitting patches for?  Since I'm breaking topic
here it's possibly best to email me directly.

Cheers,
Jack.