Re: Area cover sheets and site structure progress

Don't have tons more to add except that i didn't mean to knock the plastic idea in general i just think it looks out of place when compared to the other sections. I'm not sure what sets it apart, but when i saw it i really didn't look it belong.
-josh
digitect mindspring com wrote:

From: "Joshua Eichorn" <jeichorn joshuaeichorn com>

Home/user:

http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-user.html

I like the image you picked for the top theme gives the homepage a

nice

clean inviting look.  The left nav looks fine to me but we might want

split About and the press kit up (unless they are really just the same
thing)

Thought about that, too. Let's see how the structure works out first.

My only concern with the top nav is using Shop for a link to

information

on where to buy Gnome stuff, i don't know of anything better, but it
might be confusing for some people.  (we can use the title attribute

on

the link to give a longer description, ie and mozilla use it as a

tooltip)

Yeah, we're all struggling with this one, maybe because there isn't
anything like it now. I'm thinking about it as much as a place holder as
anything, but we really should do a better job of creating merchandice.
For example, I'd love to have a GNOME t-shirt, but there are none to buy
that I've found.

Your notes about the main body content seem fine to me.  I think there
should also be a link to screenshots from here, maybe thumbnails
depending on room/load times.

Definitely agree. We also need to do some one-sentence pointing to
Developer, Foundation and the like, too.

I like the news box its spiffy, my only suggestions would be to use
brackets around the date like so [2 January 2002]

Agree.

Developer:

http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-developer.html

again i think the theme is a good pick
my only suggestion would be to add a getting involved link on the left
nav, or at least some more indepth text on the front page

Agree.

Search/Map:

http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-search.html

i don't really like just the plan blue top bar it looks out of place
compared to the other sections.  Also the two items on the left nav

look

really lonely.  Also i don't like the purple for the the search box.

We

might want to provide a google search link with domain set to

gnome.org

besides whatever search engine we setup.

Agree, generally. This scheme was really just an experiment with the now
fashionable "Aqua/XP clean/clear" look. I call it plastic, because I
have an opinion about this particular aesthetic. ;)  No problem making
it look similar to User/Home. Like the google idea, too.

Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]