Re: Area cover sheets and site structure progress

Since the last one was so short i figured i give a little more useful feedback on this one.

First of all it looks great in mozilla 0.9.7, but it was horribly foobarred in ie, hopefully thats just because ie needs a different style sheet or something.

digitect mindspring com wrote:

Finally found time to work up some "cover sheets" for each area of the site:

Home/user:  http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-user.html

I like the image you picked for the top theme gives the homepage a nice clean inviting look. The left nav looks fine to me but we might want to split About and the press kit up (unless they are really just the same thing)

My only concern with the top nav is using Shop for a link to information on where to buy Gnome stuff, i don't know of anything better, but it might be confusing for some people. (we can use the title attribute on the link to give a longer description, ie and mozilla use it as a tooltip)

Your notes about the main body content seem fine to me. I think there should also be a link to screenshots from here, maybe thumbnails depending on room/load times.

I like the news box its spiffy, my only suggestions would be to use brackets around the date like so [2 January 2002]

Developer:  http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-developer.html

again i think the theme is a good pick
my only suggestion would be to add a getting involved link on the left nav, or at least some more indepth text on the front page

Foundation: http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-foundation.html

Foundation seemed fine, nice and business like

Search/Map: http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-search.html

i don't really like just the plan blue top bar it looks out of place compared to the other sections. Also the two items on the left nav look really lonely. Also i don't like the purple for the the search box. We might want to provide a google search link with domain set to gnome.org besides whatever search engine we setup.

At play here are the themes for each and their top and side navigation headings. More input needed!

These are still working from my thesis for the content structure:
 http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2.html
I'm not going to put any more time into this until/unless we get a pretty good consensus at these levels. (Notice the three levels of detail at the top.)
Judging by the traffic lately, I'm not exactly sure what I'd call consensus. At some point we're going to have to review each document and place it into the new structure. I don't mind taking the lead on this, but it would be re-assuring to know everybody's happy with the general direction so far. ;)

Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]