Re: Area cover sheets and site structure progress

From: "Joshua Eichorn" <jeichorn joshuaeichorn com>
http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-user.html

> I like the image you picked for the top theme gives the homepage a
nice
> clean inviting look.  The left nav looks fine to me but we might want
> split About and the press kit up (unless they are really just the same
> thing)

Thought about that, too. Let's see how the structure works out first.

> My only concern with the top nav is using Shop for a link to
information
> on where to buy Gnome stuff, i don't know of anything better, but it
> might be confusing for some people.  (we can use the title attribute
on
> the link to give a longer description, ie and mozilla use it as a
tooltip)

Yeah, we're all struggling with this one, maybe because there isn't
anything like it now. I'm thinking about it as much as a place holder as
anything, but we really should do a better job of creating merchandice.
For example, I'd love to have a GNOME t-shirt, but there are none to buy
that I've found.

> Your notes about the main body content seem fine to me.  I think there
> should also be a link to screenshots from here, maybe thumbnails
> depending on room/load times.

Definitely agree. We also need to do some one-sentence pointing to
Developer, Foundation and the like, too.

> I like the news box its spiffy, my only suggestions would be to use
> brackets around the date like so [2 January 2002]

Agree.

http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-developer.html

> again i think the theme is a good pick
> my only suggestion would be to add a getting involved link on the left
> nav, or at least some more indepth text on the front page

Agree.

http://www.mindspring.com/~digitect/gnome/v2/ia-2-0-2-search.html

> i don't really like just the plan blue top bar it looks out of place
> compared to the other sections.  Also the two items on the left nav
look
> really lonely.  Also i don't like the purple for the the search box.
We
> might want to provide a google search link with domain set to
gnome.org
> besides whatever search engine we setup.

Agree, generally. This scheme was really just an experiment with the now
fashionable "Aqua/XP clean/clear" look. I call it plastic, because I
have an opinion about this particular aesthetic. ;)  No problem making
it look similar to User/Home. Like the google idea, too.

Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]