Re: Seperating Content from code, and making it transparent

michaeld senet com au wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>:
> > <quote who="michaeld senet com au">
> > It was like, 3am Sydney time. I was up, where were you? ;)
>
> Scary thing is it's now 9am and you're _still_ up :)
>
> > > I can't look at these right now - but prepend/append is php-wide if I'm not
> >
> > > mistaken (not directory based like an apache directive).  No-one else is
> > php'ing
> > > on widget.gnome.org (or is it canvas - I forget :) are they?  Or else
> > they'll
> > > get our prepends/appends.
> >
> > You can do prepends/appends in .htaccess files, <directory> sections and
> > <virtual> sections.
>
> Ah.  I was thinking of php.ini append/prepend, not apache.  Cool bananas.
>
> > > To get around the special pages/forms issue you _could_ just have a <?
> > > gnomewebStart(); ?> and <? gnomewebEnd(); ?> instead of prepend/append
> > and
> > > give ourselves some flexibility.  I've mainly used prepend for variable
> > > decls previously.
> >
> > Yeah, we want to avoid this so that content authors need only care about
> > the
> > files they're editing - everything outside their content should be seamless
> > / transparent.
>
> I agree on principle, but in reality two function calls, one at start and one at
> end isn't a big deal and hard to maintain.  But if we can get away with not
> doing it, I agree with you, let's make it seemless for content providers.

It can be done without any functions call,
but it takes a different setup than usually.

I am doing it at my site http://www.freaktech.org/

The trick is to use the rewrite engine to map all calls
to one script mainfreak.php this script include the standard stuff
and also parse the request uri and include the contents stuff or a sub
module.

I know it sounds wired but it gives a very modular structure
which is a dream coming true regarding maintainability,
it also make the whole site indexable even trough it database driven.

Knud

> So the question remains.  Who's hacking up something for the main w.g.o site?
> When will you have something to share?  What's our timeline for deciding upon
> some basic infrustructure?  I can _start_ something but I'd rather spend my time
> critiquing/extending something that is close to the ball park.  Have we decided
> upon on a branch to use for CVS?  Shall we setup another port on www.gnome.org
> to test/present the CVS branch with?

Do you have a freelance job which include Web Design, Programming or
Linux ?
Then send me a email!