Re: Seperating Content from code, and making it transparent

<quote who="michaeld senet com au">

> D'Oh! About what time (GMT) were you on there?  Being in Australia I just need
> to coordinate my times...

It was like, 3am Sydney time. I was up, where were you? ;)

> Which version of xlst are you planning on using?

I'll be testing with Sablotron for the moment, but we'll hopefully be
targeting the new XSLT API in 4.0.7, which also means we get to use libxslt.

> > people developing content should never have to see php code or do
> > anything special to create a new page
>
> Very nice.  Dare I say it - what about i18n?  gettext?  Does xslt handle that
> for us? (never used it).

That's one of my major reasons for pushing it. XML files can be
internationalised via xml-i18n-tools (intltools now), and we have a number
of ways to use the translations produced. This stuff is going to require
some research, as many of us are not familiar with i18n issues.

The i18n guys are happy to field questions, etc. especially given that it
widens GNOME's international audience.

> I can't look at these right now - but prepend/append is php-wide if I'm not
> mistaken (not directory based like an apache directive).  No-one else is php'ing
> on widget.gnome.org (or is it canvas - I forget :) are they?  Or else they'll
> get our prepends/appends.

You can do prepends/appends in .htaccess files, <directory> sections and
<virtual> sections.

> To get around the special pages/forms issue you _could_ just have a <?
> gnomewebStart(); ?> and <? gnomewebEnd(); ?> instead of prepend/append and
> give ourselves some flexibility.  I've mainly used prepend for variable
> decls previously.

Yeah, we want to avoid this so that content authors need only care about the
files they're editing - everything outside their content should be seamless
/ transparent.

   "2.4.1ac17 is full of innovations and should be used with caution." -
                             Linux Weekly News