Re: Commit process

On Wed, 2001-09-05 at 06:19, Steve Fox wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-07-29 at 06:13, michaeld senet com au wrote:
> > My first (and only :-) change was also a trivial one (addition of gnome-weblist
> > to the mailing list page).  I updated Changelog seperately and committed that.
> > Perhaps someone else can inform us both! :-)
>
> Well, I see you changes were made a few weeks or so ago and you still
> seem to have enough fingers left to type. :)
>
> Ok, I went back and updated the Changelog file as I didn't notice things
> getting in there automagically. So does anyone know if people still
> supply detailed CVS commit messages as well then?

I can only tell you how things generally work, not why, nor even how to
go about fixing them.

When you change something in CVS, you should update the ChangeLog file,
and commit both your change, and the ChangeLog file.  For my CVS commit
message, I normally copy what I put into the ChangeLog, so that it's
plenty clear what's going on.  I use a nifty little script called
'prepare-ChangeLog.pl', which writes the template of the ChangeLog for
me, and I just fill in the details.
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/scripts/prepare-ChangeLog.pl.txt
	Greg