Re: Updated Software Map test site

On Mon, 2001-10-08 at 07:29, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> How hard would it be to swap those lists around? It seems that the broad
> categories are on the right-hand side, and the drill-down detail is on the
> left-hand side.

I think you really want to draw the users attention to the category
folders rather than the browse options. I think most people will be
browsing by topic (the default) and so the topics should really be
listed first (left).

On the Trove stuff I have set up at work, the people I have demonstrated
it to didn't even realize the browse options menu was there. This sucks
I guess, but it's better that they noticed the topics to browse by.

Also, this probably isn't the best reasoning, but people used to
SourceForge might get confused if we swapped them...yeah, lame excuse.

> [1] As long as it can be easily maintained -> are there freshmeat
> autosubmission features in the SF trove? This would really rock, as GNOME
> maintainers can update stuff here, and have it appear on Freshy too.

I suppose it's conceivable, but I'd have no idea how to go about it. I
guess I could email Scoop and ask him.

> How much of a burden do you think Trove would be on the server? Can we optimise
> anything, by caching etc?

Hopefully not too much. Things like filters and such would be nearly
impossible to cache, but the main categories could possibly be. Let's
look into it if it becomes a problem.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.org