Re: PHP+gettext

Shawn T Amundson wrote:
> > You could even start by explaining how translations would work in your
> > proposed solution - I found nothing about that at the fabric site.
>
> Well, I don't want to continue this as a flame war.  Perhaps we could
> be more friendly.

Sure, but we need to be able to discuss based on the merits of different
solutions -- and then we have to explain how the different solution
proposals work.

> We are both very opinionated, which means both of
> our methods would probably work out in the end.

a) does not imply b) :-)
Your argument was that gettext is bad (to which I obviously disagreed),
you didn't mention anything about how your proposal would work with
regards to translation or why it would be better.

> Would you be interesting in helping translate www.gtk.org into Swedish?

Sure, if you use gettext :-)
Then I can, among others:
	* Translate partly automatically using existing Swedish translations I
	have in a po format translation memory (~4MB existing po format
	translations)

	* Maintain and simply update the translations (the wonders of msgmerge)

	* Easily detect new or changed strings and update those, and know where
	in the pages they come from

I don't know if you noticed that SourceForge started an i18n project a
year ago. Well, SF i18n is dead now (only very few strings are possible
to translate, and nothing happens, even though there are a lot of
willing translators). The reason? Choosing a home-invented and by all
means stupid (from i18n view) translation mechanism.

Christian