Re: Localized Pages

Joakim Ziegler wrote:

Even if the detected language setting should be presented as the top-most choice in a drop down box on an otherwise English-by-default page, I don't think this is the correct way. Most web developers know that if you can't attract the visitor that wants information fast, and convince him or her in so-and-so-many seconds that this is the page he should read, he/she won't stay.

This, I think, is also true for localization. If an international visitor, who is not fluent with English, that wants quick information about what GNOME is should be presented with an English default I don't think that he would spend that much time to even figure out if it can be set otherwise. It would just be "oh well, this is not the information taht I wanted". That's why I think the default is so important.

And then again, the language setting in your browser doesn't say "I want all content in English by default, whatever I set this setting to". Its message is "if I set this setting, this is the language that will be the default to me". So if I set it to "Dutch", it means that I really want pages to appear in Dutch. I think we should respect that.

There's an additional problem with atuomatic detection, in addition to the
ones people have already mentioned: Automatic detection is broken on certain
combinations of browsers, proxies and so on. For instance, with my IE5
installation, if I try to go to the Debian site and click on any of the
documentation links that are supposed to use auto-detection, I get the
document in Polish, despite the fact that my IE is set to English as the
preferred language. It might be the proxy I use, but I doubt it. Now, if I
get a site in Polish, I'm *very* lost, especially if autodetection is the
sole/main way to detect languages.

That would be why I suggested some manual way to override the language detection (a drop-down box with languages). I think that assuming that language detection works for most setups is fair - I have never had problems with it, and I have used it a lot. So what I'm basically saying is that yes, it can go wrong, but I don't think we should "optimize" only for the situation when it goes wrong, and not optimize for the default that in most cases certainly would meet people's wanted result. I think the latter is more important.

Considering your example - do you have the same problem with www.google.com? It is also automatically translated (but I think it may use host redirection, I'm not sure).

Hence, given the obvious problems with this, I think autodetection to display
a clearly visible menu choice, and English as a default, combined with
www.se.gnome.org, www.fr.gnome.org and so on set up as aliases that do the
right thing, so that people who want to specifically refer to one language
(such as a newspaper or magazine in that language) can do so easily, is the
best way to do this, if we want to avoid potentially fatal problems.

The idea with local mirrors solves some of this, the problem is only that I don't think any user would expect there to be mirrors with those adresses. So either we re-direct users based on their host (which has even more drawbacks) or we inform them directly on the gnome.org front page about the local mirror (which then again would require that information to be translated).

Well, then again, setting local language as default on the local mirrors, and use your suggestion, may be the best way to solve this. But then the problem is that there will probably not be enough local mirrors... Relying on mirrors and explicitly directing international visitors to these requires a lot of well maintained mirrors, with proper resources, bandwidth, people to maintain hardware, etc. Then we have expanded the problem with translation resources to the problem of setting up a lot of well maintained mirrors, something of which I'm not sure was a necessary step. My idea with the mirrors was for them to be a compliment to gnome.org (easier to access than sending packages over the world over bad networks), and for very local content to be hosted (gnome events in a particular country). Not as a replacement for proper internationalization of www.gnome.org, which is the official site to most people.

Christian