Statistics and machines

There have a number of questions about some of the details of the
gnome.org machines and access patterns, so to summarize briefly.

The gnome.org sites are hosted on 3 servers; the machine of interest
here, widget.gnome.org, is a dual PIII-600 with 512M of ram and 50g of
disk storage (a four drive RAID array). When we finish some
current reconfigation this machine will handle the GNOME web
sites, FTP, and bugzilla.gnome.org.

The machine is running Red Hat 6.2 with a updates and a bunch of
custom-built packages installed.

The machines are located at a collocation facility here in North
Carolina; IIRC, we have 2 mbit of reserved bandwidth which we can get
bursted to 10mbit on demand if we get slashdotted or whatever - we've
already done that once in the month or so we've been at this facility.

The access patterns can be roughly seen from Analog logs:

 *  www.gnome.org: http://www.gnome.org:65348/stats.html
    cvs.gnome.org: http://cvs.gnome.org/stats.html
 ** developer.gnome.org: http://www.gnome.org:65355/stats.html

 * I'm somewhat suspicious of how Analog is determining 'pages'
   here - the page/request ratio it reports is about 1:40, but
   grepping for non-image requests in the logs seems to
   make it more like 1:20. I think it might be not counting
   PHP pages as pages. I think a more accurate figure is ~70-80,000
   page views a day.

** The reason that developer stops around the beginning of November is
   not that people have stopped developing with GNOME, but rather
   that we moved the site to widget.gnome.org where we don't have
   Analog set up yet.)

We don't have statistics for news.gnome.org since we run Zope directly
instead of via Apache.

With a rough grep/wc check on gtk.org, it seems to be comparable
to developer.gnome.org or slightly less busy - approximately
10,000 page views a day.

Regards,
                                        Owen