Re: Languages and backends.

Joakim Ziegler wrote:

I have a couple of recommendations and opinions, just to start this off. I
think Auto* and WML should be dropped. People have problems making it work,
and problems adding new stuff to the makefiles properly, etc. The build
frequently breaks (because web developers usually aren't software developers
with Auto* experience) which again makes it hard for other people to push
their updates, etc. WML is, in my opinion, a hacked-together multipass mess
which offers little benefit as compared to on the fly generation of pages.

My first hunch is to use PHP for everything. This has a number of advantages;
PHP is very easy to integrate with HTML, it's fast (especially PHP4, which is
running on the new GNOME web server), a lot of people know it, and so on.
It's also fairly easy to integrate with other languages where necessary.

I agree completely. There are reasons why PHP is popular and one of them is that it is incredibly easy to learn and start working with, and at the same time very powerful.

Of course, that leaves Gnotices, which is running on Zope now, and would be
hard to transition to PHP, I think. Some people have suggested going for Zope
for the entire site, which might be an interesting thought. I have to admit,
I don't know Zope well enough to have a good opinion on this, although what
I've seen of Zope looks a little complex.

No kidding?
I had a look at Zope and Squishdot this summer (before I went on with PHP and Thatware) and I could never really figure it out. Mentioning Zope and "a little complex" in the same sentence is IMHO a serious understatement ;-)

Python is a much nicer language than PHP, though.

I don't know about Python, I have heard horror stories about mandatory indentation though... ;-)

But I think that most people with web programming experience having experience with PHP is a big plus for PHP, contrary to Python.

Christian

Christian Rose
http://www.menthos.com                    	    menthos menthos com