Re: Languages and backends.

Christian Rose wrote:

> Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
> > My first hunch is to use PHP for everything. This has a number of advantages;
> > PHP is very easy to integrate with HTML, it's fast (especially PHP4, which is
> > running on the new GNOME web server), a lot of people know it, and so on.
> > It's also fairly easy to integrate with other languages where necessary.
>
> I agree completely. There are reasons why PHP is popular and one of them
> is that it is incredibly easy to learn and start working with, and at
> the same time very powerful.

Count me as a me too. If the team chooses to go with PHP, count me in as
a developer. I really don't have the time to learn Python right now and
I love PHP so much I don't really want to either.

> > Of course, that leaves Gnotices, which is running on Zope now, and would be
> > hard to transition to PHP, I think. Some people have suggested going for Zope
> > for the entire site, which might be an interesting thought. I have to admit,
> > I don't know Zope well enough to have a good opinion on this, although what
> > I've seen of Zope looks a little complex.

What about PHP-Nuke? If we're not looking to homebrew something, I think
that hacking the snot out of PHP-Nuke would get us on our feet the
fastest.

As a matter of fact, I wanted to join the web team before. Only I didn't
really want to learn the whole WML or whatever it's using now.

I believe WML was chosen for 2 main reasons: 1) It has really good
translation capabilities and 2) It generates dynamic content from cron
or something which means the pages are actually loaded statically on the
user side, causing less work on the server.

Being as SourceForge is running on PHP and seems to be doing ok, maybe
point 2) is not so much of a concern any more. WRT 1), does anyone have
any ideas for making translation easier with PHP? I'm just a dumb
American so I don't have any experience in writing NLS-enabled websites.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.com