Re: Navigation Proposal

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 11:12:47AM +0500, Ryan Muldoon wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 03:38:28AM +0500, Ryan Muldoon wrote:

>>> About
>>>     Press Kit
>>>        Screenshots
>>>        List of Contributors
>>> Community
>>>        IRC info
>>>        GNOME roadmap
>>>        Project of the Week
>>>        Developer Interviews
>>>        Mailing lists
>>>        Events
>>>        News
>>> Development
>>>        Tutorials
>>>        Whitepapers
>>>        API Reference
>>>        CVS
>>> Foundation
>>>        Charter
>>>        Meeting Minutes
>>>        Board Members
>>>        Advisory Board
>>>        Membership
>>> Projects
>>>        Localization
>>>        UI Hitsquad
>>>        Sound
>>>        Documentation
>>> Software
>>>        Application List
>>>        Bugzilla
>>>        Download

>> I like this. I'm a little worried about "Press", "News" and "Download" not
>> being top-level, but I guess they're prime candidates for "quick links". Hm.
>> Not bad at all. I have a better gut feeling about this structure than my
>> proposal, but I'd like to think about it a little to see if it can be
>> improved further.

> My rationale for your comments:
> Press: Press kit seems like it would be "about" GNOME, and I don't know how
> many subsections it would have, and if they really need to be quickly accessed
> in the general case.

Yes, it would be "about" GNOME, and it probably wouldn't have many
subsections (contacts, press kit, and some link page, perhaps). My main
concern is not from a logical hierarchy point of view, I'm more concerned
with people immideately finding what they're looking for. I think members of
the press would like to have an immediately visible "Press" link. It *could*
be a quick link, granted.

> News: What does this really include other than Gnotices?  I couldn't come up
> with anything, so if it were a category, it would be empty.  Also, I would
> imagine that the front page will have news as well, anyway

Well, Gnotices isn't just one page, it's a whole hierarchy in itself. The
front page, the individual stories, and the comments to the stories, the page
to submit new stories, not to mention the "More stories by this author" and
other meta-functionality. Of the three things I've mentioned here, Gnotices
is the one I'm the most sure should be a top level item.

> Download: It seems like a single action item, that I do with the category
> "software."  Download has a download page...what else?  Nonstandard GNOME
> software would have download links in the Application List, I'd imagine.

The main reason for this would be to make it very accessible. However, I
suppose Software-Download is dead intuitive, so that would be ok. I agree
with this one.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer